Tuesday, April 17, 2007

First Blog


Hello,
I am a student at Marylhurst University in Lake Oswego, Oregon and this is my first entry for our literary blog project. While I enjoy a variety of texts that fall into the category of classic literature, I have decided to dedicate this blog to a series of books that would fall somewhat short of that level of prestige. This blog is dedicated to the children's mystery series entitled Trixie Belden. The series began in 1948 and continued to be published until 1986. Overall, there were 39 books in the series; however, only the first six books were written by the original author, Julie Campbell. And it is those first six books that have always been my favorite.
I was first introduced to the series by my mother when I was in grade school. She had read the books as a child and was passing them on to me. I still have those tattered and worn down 1st editions, along with some more recently published editions to make up for any missing volumes.
I think the reason I enjoyed these books so much as a kid is that they allowed me to escape into a world where loyalty, friendship, and adventure was the norm. In the coming weeks I will be discussing a variety of subjects including: Trixie Belden history, Julie Campbell and the inspiration behind the characters, and my personal thoughts on the world of Trixie Belden.

4 comments:

Meg Roland said...

Hi Nic,

Welcome to the blogoshpere. I have never heard of this series but I too have a few tattered books from my chilhood that I absolutely cherish. I'll look forward to learning more about the Beldon series and why it struck such a chord for you as a young reader.

Meg

ludlow said...

Nic, you are unusual. Darcy

Jefferson said...

What a great idea! I am not familiar with this series, but have recently had a similar experience. I've been re-reading (with my 7 year old twins) the Danny Dunn Adventure series, a cherished part of my early literacy. I think I'm enjoying it even more than my kids. I look forward to reading more about Trixie Beldon - perhaps something to share with my kids?
Jeff

Ichablog Crane said...

My wife and I are planning to have kids within the next few years. I think that might be part of what made me think of this. I guess having kids will give me an exuse to read some great books.

One fish, two fish, red fish......